Preventative Dentistry in Cincinnati
At Shertok Smiles, preventive dentistry is one of our primary areas of focus. Dr. Dani Shertok is dedicated to helping Queen City residents maintain a beautiful, healthy smile and avoid costly and painful oral health problems such as periodontitis (gum disease) and tooth decay.
Our preventive dentistry options will give you peace of mind and confidence knowing that your smile is healthy and safe. Schedule an appointment with the friendly team at Shertok Smiles to learn more about what we can do for your dental health.
How Often Do I Need to Get a Dental Exam?
A dental exam is one of the most important parts of a good oral hygiene regimen. Your dental exam gives your dentist an opportunity to evaluate your overall oral health and make recommendations about how you can improve the health of your mouth.
In addition, dental exams and teeth cleanings allow for the removal of plaque and tartar buildup, which often cannot be done at home, even with proper brushing and flossing technique.
Because of this, we recommend that our patients come in for 6-month checkups to receive an oral exam and teeth cleaning. This is the best preventive measure you can take in the fight against tooth decay and gum disease.
What Can I Expect From My Dental Exam?
At your dental exam, you can expect our team to do the following:
- Give you a thorough teeth cleaning
- Remove surface stains or deposits (tartar or calculus)
- Check for signs of gum disease and tooth decay
- Take x-rays to check for cavities, tooth infections and more (yearly)
- Ask questions about your current oral health and hygiene
- Perform an oral cancer screening
After your cleaning and dental exam, Dr. Shertok will give you detailed information about your oral health and provide advice to help you maintain a healthier mouth.
What Should I Do to Prepare for My Dental Exam?
Typically, you do not need to do much to prepare for a dental exam. Practice good dental care by brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing once a day.
We also recommend brushing and flossing immediately before your appointment. This will allow your oral hygienist to focus on removing plaque from hard-to-reach areas of the mouth.
You will also need to know information about your dental health history as well as basic information about your insurance coverage. Past dental records are helpful, but not required.
The Benefits of a Professional Teeth Cleaning and Dental Exam
Why should you get a teeth cleaning and dental exam every six months? Here are just a few good reasons:
- Tartar and plaque removal – Plaque can calcify into a substance called tartar, which you can’t remove on your own. This can lead to issues like gum disease and tooth decay. Our professional dental hygienists can remove both tartar and plaque, ensuring your mouth stays healthy.
- Fresh breath and a healthier smile – Plaque and oral bacteria can cause stains and discoloration on your teeth, as well as bad breath (halitosis). Getting a regular check-up keeps your mouth healthy!
- Save time and money – Fillings and crowns are expensive and treatment for gum disease is also quite costly. By preventing tooth decay and periodontitis altogether, you can save quite a bit of money and time in the long run.
Schedule Your Check-Up Today!
The team at Shertok Smiles has unique qualifications and special promotions that make us the best choice in Cincinnati for your dental health. Call us now to schedule a consultation at (513) 721-5924, or come to our office at 19 Garfield Place, Ste. 414, Cincinnati, OH 45202.